Coastal Grant Restores Town Landmark in Crown Point
The Takeaway: The restoration of a 140-year-old bridge, a site for cultural and architectural education, was given a boost by Indiana’s coastal program.
The Milroy Covered Bridge is 100 feet long, with an even longer history in years. Built originally in 1878, it served as the backdrop for family photos, Lake County events, and celebrations before being closed because of structural deficiencies in 2012. The newly restored and repaired bridge became a treasured town landmark once again; a $100,000 grant from Indiana’s Lake Michigan Coastal Program helped make that day happen.
This grant was given to the Lake County Board of Commissioners, which worked with partners to restore Milroy Covered Bridge as an enhancement to the Lake County Fairgrounds. It provides an irreplaceable interpretive site that draws enthusiasts of local arts, culture, and architecture.
The bridge has a storied history. Originally, it spanned the Little Flatrock River in Henry County. In 1933, John Wheeler, the Crown Point mayor, purchased the structure for preservation and reassembled it over a gully at the fairgrounds, where it flourished as a community meeting spot for generations. (2019)
Partners: Lake County Board of Commissioners, Lake Michigan Coastal ProgramPRINT