This three-day instructor-led course gives you a thorough grounding in the topic of adaptation – and time in class to apply what you’ve learned to your own adaptation projects. The course covers these essentials: understanding climate science and impacts; determining community vulnerabilities; communicating effectively; identifying adaptation strategies; and finding mechanisms to implement those strategies. Opportunities for local collaboration and next steps for adaptation planning and implementation are emphasized through discussion, participant activities, and incorporation of local speakers and examples.
The course is designed for program administrators, land use planners, public works staff members, floodplain managers, hazard mitigation planners, emergency managers, community groups, members of civic organizations, and coastal resource managers. Eighteen hours of certification maintenance credits for this course have been approved by the American Institute of Certified Planners.
What You Will Learn
After completing this course, participants will be able to
- Recognize the changes and variability in climate and climate’s influence on coastal communities
- Identify opportunities to leverage a range of governance mechanisms to integrate adaptation strategies into their existing efforts
- Examine methods for conducting hazard, vulnerability, and risk assessment as it relates to climate change
- Evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of adaptation strategies
- Apply climate communication research concepts and findings to enable effective communication with target audiences
This training is provided by request and will be fulfilled as resources are available. Classes can be taught at the NOAA Office for Coastal Management training facility or brought to your organization. The office reserves the right to cancel the course in the event of low enrollment. The cost is minimal for participants and host organizations. Please review the on-site host responsibilities, costs, and site requirements. To apply to host a course at your location, please fill out our host form, and a trainer will contact you.
For additional course or individual registration information, e-mail email@example.com.