A Framework for Ecosystem Services Projects
The coastal management community is under increasing pressure to incorporate ecosystem services information into management decisions, yet many are unsure where to begin. This training will provide a thorough grounding and practical skills for applying the ecosystem services framework to a project you are currently working on or plan to work on in the future. Time in class is provided to learn about the framework elements (biophysical science, human benefits, communication, stakeholder engagement) and associated terminology, and to begin the scoping process using a worksheet to help think through key considerations.
- Part 1: 1-2 hours thinking about a project, reading background material, and completing a checklist
- Part 2: 1-day in-person training
You will learn how to
- Identify the four elements of the ecosystem services framework and describe how they are connected to each other in a project
- Describe how biophysical changes relate to changes in human benefits
- Formulate possible solutions so that ecosystem services projects meet identified needs
- Demonstrate how the ecosystem services framework applies to a project using the worksheet as a tool
Continuing Education Credits
This course offers five hours of continuing education credits for the American Institute of Certified Planners.