Whether beginning a new effort or trying to keep people motivated to better prepare for future hazards, applying risk communication principles will lead to more effective results. This self-guided module introduces seven best practices, numerous techniques, and examples to help you improve your communication efforts. Knowledge checks and a final quiz are included to help you retain what you learn. Please note that this training focuses on improving risk communication skills for coastal hazards planning and preparedness, not crisis communication.
- Apply seven risk communication best practices and techniques
- Recognize differing values and identify how and why people perceive and respond to risks the way they do
- Adapt successful strategies from case studies of peers who have applied these best practices and techniques
- Internet and speakers
American Institute of Certified Planners – one hour
- For a live, interactive experience with the added benefit of insights from your peers, participate in the Seven Best Practices for Risk Communication webinar.
- Watch risk communication expert Dennis Mileti explain the biggest mistake in risk communication.