Nature-Based Solutions for Coastal Hazards: The Basics
Learn an approach for identifying your community’s coastal hazard issues, ecosystem services that can reduce hazard impacts, and green infrastructure practices that can provide those services. Develop the beginnings of a community green infrastructure plan.
You will learn how to
- Document coastal hazards affecting your community. Explore coastal hazard maps for your location.
- Identify ecosystem services that mitigate the impacts. Click through a visual and descriptions of the multiple benefits provided by nature.
- Understand green infrastructure practices that provide essential ecosystem services. Explore the various practices available that provide services and reduce hazard impacts. Document these in the green infrastructure plan provided.
- Explore how other communities are implementing green infrastructure. Read peer-to-peer case studies.
- Find additional training to build off your work. Link to NOAA’s virtual and in-person Nature-Based Solutions for Coastal Hazards trainings.
Spanish VersionSoluciones basadas en la naturaleza para hacer frente a amenazas costeras: Conceptos básicos
Participant RequirementsInternet connection, ability to download Word or PDF template
Continuing Education Credits
This course offers one hour of certification maintenance credits for the American Institute of Certified Planners.
- For a live, interactive experience with the added benefit of insights from your peers, participate in the Virtual - Nature-Based Solutions for Coastal Hazards.
- For an in-person instructor-led training, please check the upcoming offerings for our Nature-Based Solutions for Coastal Hazards, or request to host this course.